Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Too many times, I've been wrong

I guess being right, takes too long

I know I’m a little late on the whole Mother’s Day Thing. So Happy Mothers Day to those who are doing a kick ass job, because, in short, you rock!!
However, with that being said, I don’t think that Mother’s Day should be a recognised day, if you will. I think it’s redundant to think you should be praised for doing something that you should be doing regardless. Is there a “Happy Breathing Day” at hallmark? How about a “Congratulations, you ate!!” card. Nope. I think when you take on the responsibility to be a parent that should be what you are all about. You should not be praised for doing something that you agreed to do anyways. You do not need an incentive to be a better parent. Your child progressing and growing is reward enough.
Yes, it’s true that without Mother’s that none of us would be possible and they helped mould us be what we are, but honestly a hug and kiss and “I love you” and “I appreciate you” every now and then goes a long way. Baby Girl actually said that she would not get me anymore presents and instead her gift everyday to me would be her love. It kind of put things in perspective for me; it’s actually all I need from her.
I actually think that Mother’s Day and Father’s Day should act as a slap in the face to the absentee parents. It’s kind of like; see you’re not here, so you don’t get the reward. It must suck to be you because, yes, my nights have been littered with sleepless, feverish nights and I have had bodily fluids spew from every possible hole in the human membrane come at me one way or another, and I have endured pain (physical, mental, and emotional) and sorrow at the hands at the one whom I love the most, but I would not change it or have it any other way. Because those evenings that I cannot go out and ‘hang out with my friends’, instead, I stay home and do homework, watch movies and play board games. Because I haven’t bought clothes for myself in close to 8 years, but instead my daughter rocks sparkles and gems and tiaras and pink and purple and flowery everything. Because I don’t get to eat out and have sushi or steak nearly anywhere as much as I would like too and instead eat everything with ketchup and alphabaghettios and go to McDonalds for the “girl toy”.
Yup, it must suck to be you.

So Happy Mother’s Day today, tomorrow and everyday after for those Mothers that make the world a better place to be in.

No comments: