Thursday, September 4, 2008

Say hello to my little friend



So this little, but scary, creature has suddenly become an inhabitant in our household as of late. How I found out, was watching t.v in the basement on tuesday night and I saw something mobe out of the corner of my eye. Quickly moved my attention to the wall and noticed this creature scurrying around. OMG!!! Needless to say, I was a little bit petrified. First thing I looked for was something to smush it with. Found my daughter's slipper. Didn't look like it would do the job, to be honest. Plus, I didn't want to have to think about touching it, even w/ a slipper. Plus those legs were pretty long, I had this notion in my head that if I did hit it, that some of those lose appendages will come out from under the slipper and sting me anyway. So, I got the Raid from upstairs. Now, I had issues with this too, as I thought that as soon as I sprayed it, this creature would also run away and I wouldn't be able to get it and it would somehow become immune or it would jump on me. I did a test spray before going back downstairs. So I went downstairs and sprayed it good. Even when it fell off the ceiling, I stilled sparyed it. I'm sure I used up more than half the can. NTS: must buy my mom a can of Raid.

So I did some research and was able to find out some info regarding this strange creature that I have not seen before. I googled basement bugs and some images popped up of my mysterious creature and this is how I found out that it has a name: House Centipede.

Here are some facts: Basically, they are good for house! Who would've guessed?!?! They feed off household pests like spiders, ants, termites and silverfish. So if you can deal with seeing these creature about, they actually help out. The house centipede is 25–50 mm (one to two inches) long and has an average of 15 pairs of very long, delicate legs and a rigid body, which enables it to run with surprising speed – up to 406 mm (16 inches) per second. Also, even though they are venomous, most House Centipedes bites cannot penetrate human skin. Those that can give an effect no worse than a minor bee sting. The bite cannot even affect regular household pets. Oh, and they love to breed!! Great.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!