Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane...

Nah baby girl, that's a shooting star with your name.


So Baby starts grade 2 in less than a week. We're super stoked. We were recently out buying some back to school stuff, like pencils, eraser, pencil crayons, pencil cases, you know, stuff like that. Baby had specific things that she liked, prodominantly stuff licenced to Disney Princess. Now, if you did the math, she just turned 7 years old.
Here's my question, is she too old for this stuff?
She still likes to watch Treehouse and Disney Playhouse. She likes to play dress up and plays with her dolls and has imaginary friends. When we hang out with other kids, she will play with the younger ones, rather than the older ones. She's still into Disney Princess (as stated above), and Disney Tinkerbell and even CareBears. She hasn't really moved onto Hannah Montana or any of that Disney Channel stuff. Frankly, I don't mind that, because really those kids on those shows have way too much attitude. My child has enough of her own, she doesn't need those influences as to how to make my life more difficult.
Even last year, she came home and said, her friends made fun of her because she still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy. How and when should I break it to her? I want her to get everything out of her childhood, because she will have to grow up soon enough.

2 comments:

newer said...

I don't think it's too young. . .baby girl is just going to the beat of a different drum :) You can't always protect them. . .that's just life.
I still liked all that Disney stuff until I was 11!!!! In fact, I still collected stuff until I was 12. Shaunette told me she played with Barbies until she was 13!
I had no tween stage though like they do now - just jumped into music, clothes and angst after that :)
I didn't really believe in Santa since I never had any gifts from him. I did believe in the tooth fairy for a bit but when I was 6 I think my mom got fed up of trying to sneak money under my pillow and just told me it was her doing it o_O
I think they're are other things to keep childhood going - for instance - LOVED the scary stories when I was young. Love telling the kids because those were some of my best memories. Although I'm sure you can wait to tell Baby Girl those tales. . .let her know about fairies and princesses instead :D

Moniksca said...

Don't even stress about it, they like what they like and you can't change it. If you try, you're going to get a hell of a lot of trouble for it. She'll get into that stuff in no time. The next thing you know she'll be asking for keys to your car. Just enjoy. Ty still believes in Santa and I don't want to be the one to break his heart and tell him. So as long as he believes there will be gifts for him from santa.